Saturday, 20 September 2014

diy side table


 Happy Saturday! 
Yesterday I was able to finish a little project that I have been working on. One of the things I needed was a plant stand/side table so I decided to make my own. Turned out to be a pretty easy little project :) 
When we moved into this house, there was a spindle railing along the entrance, which we took out when we redid the flooring. I ended up keeping the spindles because I thought I could use them for a project, and didn't end up using them until now. But they make the perfect legs for my little table! 
 First we had to cut the legs to the same length. I then cut a table top out of plywood that I had lying around our yard. I glued a piece of good-one-side plywood to a 1/2" piece of plywood to create a nicer finish on the top side of the table. And then attached the legs with screws (note: I remembered after I had done this step that I had wanted to attach the legs to the 1/2" plywood before glueing the good-one-side plywood on top....that would have avoided the need for wood filler...maybe I'll remember next time!). Once the table was assembled I sanded everything down and prepped it for painting. 
I was inspired by the wall that my sister and I did in her salon (hopefully I can show you soon!) and decided to do a triangle painted pattern on the top of the table just to add some pizzazz!
For creating perfectly straight paint lines, my sister's father-in-law shared an amazing tip with us. When the tape is in place, lightly sand along the tap. It's amazing how this works! The lines turn out completely perfect!

Now to make my second coffee of the morning and fold some laundry! Happy weekend :)
~Jessica~

No comments:

Post a Comment